A trip of myths and spectacular natural scenery
- One night & two days, one-way trip.
- Departure station
- Shimonoseki Station
- Final station
- Shin-Osaka Station
- Via Sanin Line
- Sightseeing Places
- View Spots
- TWILIGHT EXPRESS MIZUKAZE Route
- Departure / Final Stations
- Sea of Japan, Western Sanin Region / Fukawa Bay
- Between Nagatoshi Station and Kiwado Station
- An inlet located in the Kita-Nagato Kaigan Quasi-National Park. Omi-jima Island, which lies across the bay, has a wealth of spectacular sights, including caves, stone pillars and shore reefs. It is known as the Alps of the Sea.
- A visit to Izumo Taisha Shrine, famous for its dedication to the god of marriage and god of fortune in Izumo, which is known as the land where gods gather and as the home of legends.
- Visit to Izumo Taisha Shrine
- Sunset over Lake Shinji
- Lake Shinji has been selected as one of Japan’s top 100 sunset spots. The color of the lake surface changes throughout the day, and is at its most breathtakingly beautiful in the evening, when tinged deep red by the setting sun.
- Mt. Daisen (Daisen-Oki National Park)
- Mt. Daisen, the Chugoku region’s highest peak, is also called “Hoki Fuji”. Enjoy views of this stunning mountain and traditional rural landscapes throughout the seasons from the train windows.
- Tottori / Higashihama
- We will visit the Tottori Folk Crafts Museum, which displays genuine folk crafts collected by Shoya Yoshida, the father of Tottori folk crafts. We will also visit the former Yoshida Clinic, which is not normally open to the public.
At the Tottori Sand Dunes, which were created by nature, you can enjoy the natural beauty of patterns created by the wind. At The Sand Museum, you can see beautiful sand sculptures made by artists from around the world.
- Stroll on Tottori Sand Dunes, and visit to The Sand Museum (April to November)
Visit to The Sand Museum – with commentary about the exhibits from a guide
- Visit to the former Yoshida Clinic and the Tottori Folk Crafts Museum (December – March)
Former Yoshida Clinic – A building designed by the doctor Shoya Yoshida, who is known as the father of Tottori folk crafts.
Tottori Folk Crafts Museum – Commentary about the exhibits from the curator
- Breakfast : Enjoy dishes made using unique ingredients from along the route at the restaurant AL MARE.
- Higashihama (Global Geopark)
- Between Higashihama Station and Iwami Station
- This nature park has Global Geopark status. Enjoy the beauty of the many geographical features which were created over millions of years by the formation of the Sea of Japan.
- MIZUKAZE bus
The exclusive MIZUKAZE bus takes guests to and from the sightseeing places. The design was supervised by Kazuya URA, the same designer who oversaw the design of the train. The exterior is MIZUKAZE green, with gold emblem lines. The interior has the same carpet design as the train, and green seats to give it a relaxing atmosphere. The bus is pleasant to ride, and it takes you to sightseeing places full of appeal.
*In addition to the MIZUKAZE bus, a bus with a restroom also runs. (The onboard facilities are the same as the MIZUKAZE bus, however the design is not the same.) The buses offer a comfortable way to travel.
*During the journey, all guests will ride the MIZUKAZE bus at least once. On the Sanin Course (Shimonoseki-bound) and the Sanyo Course (Shimonoseki-bound), guests will be transported between the destination Shimonoseki Station and Kokura Station by the MIZUKAZE bus and the bus with a restroom.
(Bus company: Chugoku JR Bus)